Monday, December 31, 2012

launching point

One goal for participating in OGAM is to push forward my pet engine I've been working on on-and-off for the last year and a half. Over Christmas vacation I started working on wrapping a GUI editor around the engine, and I'm quite pleased with how far it's gotten over the last week.

What I expect to do is start small. Pick one game mechanic to implement, get it working and push it out. That's just a cycle I'm going to need to get in the habit of doing. I shouldn't have too much concern over quality towards the beginning as I think it will be more important to just get into a cadence of quick iteration. I make games for a living, but I'm only really responsible for the technology behind them, and the cadence is years, not weeks. It's also going to take a little time to iterate on my own technology before it's really capable of delivering something cool. Up until now I've been building technology without a game in mind. I'm hoping that OGAM will help me turn that around - to concentrate on the game, and build the tech to support that. I think the tech is actually in a decent place where I can start doing this - a fair amount of fundamentals are working.

Here's a screenshot of the editor I posted to twitter last night:


No comments:

Post a Comment